Pursuant to the Health Professions Act, all health Colleges in Alberta are required, effective April 1, 2019, to administer a Patient Relations Program.
A Patient Relations Program includes measures for preventing and addressing sexual abuse and sexual misconduct towards patients by regulated members. The program includes, but is not limited to:
- Education for regulated members
- Educational guidelines for the conduct of regulated members towards patients
- Training requirements for College staff, Council and members involved with conduct processes
- Publicly available information on the complaints process
- Assistance in directing individuals to appropriate resources, persons or organizations which may be of assistance to them
- Develop a fund for treatment and counseling that is available for anyone who alleges sexual abuse and/or sexual misconduct
More information on the College's program will be available here as it is developed.
For a list of resources for patients regarding sexual abuse and sexual misconduct, please click here.